Monday, July 16, 2012

the mattress

Someone has dumped a mattress and box springs right on Putney-West West line.  Not too long ago, there was a TV there, and before that, a stuffed chair in a lurid orange.  The already overworked road crews must have to take care of these leavings, and I imagine the Putney faction and the Westminster West guys fighting it out.  Seeing this mattress, though,  makes me seethe with a sort of impotent rage at the pure sloth and the careless disregard for others that now soaked mattress demonstrates.

My several frustrating experiences today brought out similar emotions--though not because of anyone's sloth or careless contempt.  There is nothing quite as stymying as having something to do and not being able to do it, especially, somehow, when said task involves a PC.  My partner even tried to help me find the right place on the site to enter my homework while simultaneously wiping chocolate chip cookie (not a euphemism in this case--it was a real cookie) off Leo's butt, but to no avail.

Why are tech experiences more frustrating than soiled mattresses dumped in a serene landscape, even?  I think they bring me  f2f with my own limitations--limitations which hopefully will be fewer as I experiment.  (A new PC would help, of course, as well.)  I think my learning goals should include yoga and maybe more familiarity with the sites we are using, so that I don't throw a chocolate-chip-cookie-fit (euphemism) when something goes wrong.

On the flip-side, how delightful to be in a class with such engaging and engaged women; that should ease the sting.  Now if my classmates would just take care of the mattress.

3 comments:

  1. Well put Beneth ... "f2f with ones own limitations." I have experienced this many times over the course of this past year as I have played in the waters of technology. Through my relationship with my computer I have become acutely aware, at times, of my limited problem solving and emotional resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The battle over who is going to take care of that wet mattress from the side of the road may be decided by who is willing take responsibility for it. It could be a physical question, “ Who’s job is it”? Or it could be an economic question, ”Who’s going to get paid?” You knew it was not your job; and that you would not be paid for it if you took care of it. So, you could drive by and say, “Isn’t it a shame that some people do not care enough for the environment that they would just throw their wet mattress on the side of the road.” Yet, even though you had the ability you made the decision that some one else should take care of the mattress. Or perhaps you had limitations and became frustrated because you didn’t have a truck or someone to help you lift it. May be you can find someone to help you.
    There are always limitations and feelings of frustration when learning something new. Especially if it’s the first day of class and not only do you leave your computer at home but also you find out that it doesn’t work after you drive all the way home to get it. I heard a sigh a relief today when you realized it was not all your responsibility for the limitations you were experiencing and that someone was going to help. Sure, it is always more rewarding when you can take care of your own ” wet mattress,” but if someone is willing to help let them and don’t be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughtful response. :-) I agree that the best scenario is to find a truck myself...Honestly, I have thought about it fleetingly as I drive home with my (usually yelling) toddler. I guess I too am guilty of inertia to some degree.

    Nice post, Robbe!

    ReplyDelete