Wednesday, July 18, 2012

clean sweep

Deep sigh of relief today, as I abandoned something--even though I was attached to it--and made a choice in favor of practicality.  This is exactly, now that I think about it, what I have been doing in the garage for the past week:  throwing out things I will never use again and making room to organize the things I do use.  Is this what adulthood is like?

I can't resist, though, holding onto some of the frivolity both in the garage and website.  Elvis in a flurry of hearts and Annie Dillard with a Dali mustache make me laugh, which is one of the most important elements in my workday.  (Did I just mention adulthood?  What's that?)  It's tough in that being goofy actually takes more time than being straightforward, but I think it's an OK trade-off, as my site will more accurately reflect my sensibility.

My poor students...[shakes her head].

Now, though, I am a bit panicked about getting everything done by Friday.  I think I will have to hunker down and really work on getting everything in so that I also have time to play with Xtranormal.  (How about a poem of the week recited by an avatar?  Or a snippet of dialogue from Romeo and Juliet?)

16 contractor bags of trash later, I have a neatly swept garage and only one diorama of 50s dolls arranged in a wedding scene.  (Possibly the creepiest thing I have ever seen; I couldn't get rid of it.)  Website likewise tidier, with just a few mouse droppings in the corners.  And it's only Wednesday---though, as Robin would say, Friday is the day after tomorrow.




1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a photo of the diorama, sounds like a great addition to the website :-) remember: websites are always in progress never "done", kinda like life, really. They are not static like a printed syllabus or book, but can be changed in a sec. Yours you'll add to, discard, revise, and hopefully keep it current throughout the year(s)

    ReplyDelete